This is an idea of a new KMenu widget. I have made it because I have found default KDE4 (Kickoff) menu quite uncomfortable. From my point of view this idea is more efficient for average user.
Main ideas for this project are:
- less mouse movements needed
- big icons, like in MacOS's dockbar
- target: advanced user (because of no programs names and description, there are just icons)
How it works?
After mouse click in KMenu button two menu bars are showing:
- The inner one include your favorite apps (like the "Favoutites" tab in default KMenu) and the Leave Menu.
- The outer one provide access to apps categories [icon with flowing titles alongside]. When you move your cursor under the icon of each category, the next bars are evolving and show apps from chosen category. Of course sometimes there are more than two levels of menu (e.g. like in the "Utilities" category). This bar also includes Help, Run Command, Find buttons etc.
When the number of menu items grow in each level, icons become smaller [of course maximum and minimum icon size should be defined]. If there will be too much icons you can rotate whole menu up and down.
What do you think about it?
P.S. sorry for my English :)